Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chapter 1

In the future, I'm sure it will take several entries to respond to a chapter, but chapter one is rather succinct and so is my response. Rather than addressing these points in detail (since they will be discussed in the chapters ahead), here are facets of these chapter that I appreciated and those I take issue with:

I appreciated...
*The emphasis on not looking to the world for answers on who we are and what we should be. It can be easy to let pressure from those around us guide the way we view our life and how we choose to live it and they recognized this issue.

*Practical examples. It's interesting and helpful to see hear from a number of girls (see pages 8-12).

*The encouragement (page 6) to read the book like a Berean, comparing what they share to scripture.

I take issue with...
*The emphasis on males (particularly fathers) as the answer for problems. On page 3/4, the authors discuss various issues facing college young women - dysfunctional families, a politically correct attitude from their classes, lack of spiritual guidance, confusion, need for security. Their response to these girls is, "What they all seemed to want more than anything else was truth, safety, purpose, and faithful male companionship and protection."* (emphasis theirs)

*Focus on the father-daughter relationship rather than the parent-daughter relationship. This immediately put me on guard. To begin, every single chapter title involves "father and daughter" in some way. Further, from the brief section on pages 5-6, I was uncomfortable with statements such as, "Many girls enjoy having a "space" away from their fathers. That space is dangerous."** or "If you are not willing to give your heart to your father, this book will put you at odds with the Scriptural mandate you find here."***

*Idealizing the past. On page 7, the girls mention that the views they shared in this book "used to be held by practically all Americans...it was lived before, when women were much happier."**** There's plenty that I would like to say about this idea, but for it can wait.

If anyone should care to comment: is there any other particular issue that stood out to you?



*
Botkin, Anna Sofia & Elizabeth. So Much More: the Remarkable Influence of Visionary Daughters on the Kingdom of God. 1st. San Antonio, TX: Vision Forum, Inc., 2005.
**Ibid.
***Ibid.
****Idbid.

4 comments:

Miss Deb said...

Good thoughts!

Looking forward to more :)

Stephanie said...

I stumbled across your blog from somewhere...can't remember where. :)

This is definitely a topic that I'm very interested in, having seen the movie (Return of the Daughters) and having read part of the book. Caution flags were going up. Looking forward to what you have to say!

&h said...

good words, Danae. I look forward to seeing how you continue the critique.

Grace said...

Oh! I am so glad to find your blog! I am a homeschooled highschool graduate and now a college student still living at home. Well, several years ago, after hearing wonderful things about this book, I bought So Much More and began to read it. However, I put it down just after a couple chapters, quite disappointed to find a number of things in the book that I (and my parents) completely disagreed with (and I never picked it up again). All said, I am quite interested in hearing your point of view! I have just read your review of the first chapter, and so far I agree 100%! :) Can't wait to read more!